Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Funny Moment. (To me at least.)

I'm sitting here in my classroom after having the kids to myself all day. I'm wiped out. It was a lot of fun and I had to be a big meanie sometimes, but overall I think it went pretty well.
During the last hour of the day I only have half the kids. We were going over How to Read Maps and studying a map of Florida. I was asking them certain questions and they were having to use the information given to them in the key to find the answer. At one point I decided to throw something new at them and ask them a question from a caption on the map.
Me: "What is the most important industry in Florida?"
Student A: "Tourism!"
Student B looking very confused: "What? Tourism is the most important?"
Me: "Who can tell me what tourism is?"
Student B: "Isn't that where people kill each other?"

Other students around me say things like "That's what I thought."
I realize the students are all thinking Terrorism not tourism is the most important industry in Florida. lol.
So we take a minute to clarify between tourism and terrorism as well as what a tourist is verses a terrorist. I couldn't help but giggle to myself. They are just so funny. :)

4 comments:

Steffani Dastrup said...

Gotta love those teaching moments! I told my class that I was expecting a baby last week. I told them a little bit about how far along I was, when I was due etc. Then I asked the kids if they had any questions... One little boy (Who reminds me of "fancy pants" on School of Rock) raises his hand and with his little high voice says "But Mrs. D, how did you get pregnant?" Needless to say, I wasn't expecting that! Trying not to laugh I told him to go home and ask his mom! :)

Rasmussen Family said...

Ha! That is so funny! You are such a doll. Sorry we weren't able to hang out last week. Rain check?!

Camie said...

Ha ha ... yes there is a big difference there :)

Kate and Blake plus 3 said...

One could argue that the price of going to Disneyworld is a form of terrorism, I guess! That's so funny! You are a brave lady, I can barely handle my own children all day alone!

Forever!!!