Saturday, May 19, 2012

Heaven on Earth

For the week of April 8th, we got to spend a week in what I like to call Heaven on Earth, Hawaii. Chris had always wanted to go, and I had lived there before my mission so I was dying to go back. Right after Maddie was born we used all of our skymile points and bought two tickets to Maui. We had a count down and could hardly wait until we got to go on a very needed, just the two of us, vacation. Finally, April 8th arrived! We woke up early that morning and did a fun easter with the kids! Maddie didn't care, but she got a super cute dress.


Boston was so excited that the easter bunny hid candy all over the house, until he saw a little toy that the E.B. brought, Francesco. After that he found all the candy but didn't care even to eat it. I'll keep that in mind for next year...


After that we packed the kids up, and dropped them off with my mom to spend half the week with her, then half the week with Chris's family. Our plane left at 3, and we were almost giddy! We landed in Maui around 8:30pm it was rainy and a little bit chilly (for Maui mind you). We got our rental car and drove to our amazing, awesome hotel, The Westin Maui. When I lived in Maui, this was the place I always wanted to stay if I ever came back, and I got to! It's AMAZING! i don't know if I'll ever be able to stay anywhere else in Maui ever again!


I had a list of things we could do while we were there like sunrise at Haleakala, hike Iao Needle, road to Hana, Snorkling, etc. Then I had a list of things we must do which involved mostly beaches and amazing food. We figured we'd play it by ear each day. Monday we just hung out at our hotel pools and Kaanapali beach. I love this beach. It is one of my favorite, and I can't tell you how much time I spent here. I worked within walking distance of Kaanapali beach and would spend lunch breaks just enjoying the sun there. It was almost exactly like I remembered it, the only thing that was different was that boats were able to go right up to the beach and I don't remember that ever happening. Seriously, does it get any better?


We also popped by my old store, Del Sol, at Whalers Village. It's no longer Del Sol, but they still have a little section dedicated to Del Sol apparel. It was fun/weird to be back.


Our favorite place to hangout was the hammock. :) Monday night we ate dinner at Leilani's grill on the beach. I love this place! I used to walk up and get 3 rice balls and some shoyu (soy sauce) during my lunch breaks. I love their sticky rice! The reason we went there was for their Hula Pie. it's really a mountain of chocolate goodness.


We also had some of the most amazing sweet potato fries there. I could have eaten those every single day! That night we just hung out in the hammocks a bit more and enjoyed listening to the sound of the waves. Tuesday morning we went on a whale watch. I was super excited when I found out the whales were still there. I thought they left at the end of March. So I made Chris come on one with me. We had a great time! On our way out to see we saw a HUGE Navy cargo ship. The picture really doesn't do it justice at all.


We also got a great show by a few mommy whales and their babies. They came right up to the boat! I tried to get Chris to let me use his phone to take pictures, but he was afraid I'd drop it in the water. No faith in me at all.

Obviously I didn't take this picture, I just thought it showed a mom and baby really well. :)


That afternoon was a little windy, and we ended up going on a little hike. On my days off when I had a whole bunch of time to kill by myself, I would drive up the coast past all the touristy stuff and head out to the cliffs. There was this one cliff that I would sit on the side of for hours and just read or hang out while I watch the surf coming in and out. It was so calming to me and usually I ended up reading Chris's letters there or writing him. I always felt like I was watching the ocean breath in this particular spot. It was neat to go and hang out with Chris there. While we were there we got a free show by a bunch of whales.


That night we went back to Whalers village for a free show. I used to step outside the store and watch this at least once a week. Good Times. Wednesday, we bagged going to Haleakala and just hung out at the beach. We decided to go snorkeling at Honolua bay. So Beautiful! I was really hoping to see a turtle, but no luck. I'll be honest, snorkeling makes me super nervous. In fact, I have to focus on not hyperventilating for the first 5 minutes. It makes perfect sense why becoming a marine biologist didn't work out.


That night we hung out on front street and ate at my ALL TIME FAVORITE burger joint, Cool Cats. If you ever go to Maui you have to eat here. Best. Burgers. Ever. My roommate, and long time friend, Kati, would go here at least once a week. I had to get The Duke, because it's blow your mind fantastic! As usual, it didn't disappoint. My mouth is watering again, just thinking about this burger.


Thursday We hung out at the pool, and then headed over to my favorite beach ever, Big Beach, with some boogie boards.This beach is not only beautiful, but it's not crowded, the water is super clear, the sand is never hot, and there are big waves that break right on the shore which makes this beach super fun/a little dangerous to play in. Kati and I drove to this beach as much as we could, and almost broke multiple bones/lost swimsuits while swimming here. I was so excited to bring Chris here, and he loved it as much as I did!


That night we went to a luau. It was fun to eat food like Kalua pork and sticky rice, and even poi. I even ate a little ahi poke (sushi). Yup. I ate raw fish. What can I say. It's worth eating when it's fresh. Friday we played at the pool and the beach all day.


That night we went to my FAVORITE Gallery EVER, the Peter Lik gallery. If you don't know who this guy is click on his name and check him out right now! If I'm ever a super-duper-quadruple millionaire I'm going to fill my house with his photos. Just to give you and idea of the price, my favorite picture is going for $18,000 right now, and that's not even a big one. But I tell you what, it would be worth every penny!

Sunset on Front Street.

This vacation was amazing. No kids. Just play. All the time. There are days where I wish I could be back on the beach, just the two of us, enjoying the peace and beauty of it all. But then I see my two cute babies, and here is pretty awesome too. :) *So, I just noticed that the pictures aren't lining up with the words. Sorry about that, but I'm just going to try and move on so that I can get caught up. :)

3 comments:

BriAnn said...

I never knew you lived in Hawaii. Jealous. Of living there and your trip. So fun.

kati said...

Wow!!! Just like I remember. I hope Chris isn't jealous that he is the second person to experience these things with you(after me of course). I loved this post. Ahh The hammocks on Kaanapali Beach...we used to go get pizza and just sit on those hammocks eating pizza, talking and listening to the beautiful ocean. I knew exactly what hamburger you were going to get, you always got the Duke. Oh how I miss that place. I will have to take Matt there soon. I am glad you were able to go back. Sad that Del Sol is gone though. Why did we ever come back?? Something about a couple of guys we liked.

kati said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Forever!!!