Thursday, June 7, 2012

Better for you Man Pleasin' Sandwich


It's a poor picture I know. Trust me, it's good. And because it's broiled you can just pick it up and eat it without it falling apart. :)



I love this recipe from Mels Kitchen Cafe (LOVE) http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2008/01/man-pleasin-sandwich.html, but since her version's not fatty friendly ;D I changed it up so I could still have this yumminess while trying to lose weight. Whoever said you can't enjoy eating while losing weight is crazy. Yes, it may be true that if I didn't eat things like this sandwich I'd probably lose faster, but I'm having to lose weight because I LOVE FOOD. That's not going to change, so I have to learn to eat the things I love, and create them so they're better for me. 

WWP+: 9ish points  depending on the meat you use. 

INGREDIENTS:
2 to 3 pounds cube steak (tenderized round steak that’s been extra-tenderized) or you can substitue flank steak that you've tenderized since it's leaner)
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 green pepper, thinly sliced
whole wheat pitas (2 points)
Beef Broth (I didn't measure, I just eyeballed, and put in what I felt like would be good)
Butter (you can cut this completely and probably won't miss it. You could sub Olive oil to get your healthy oils in for the day)
Lawry’s Seasoned Salt (for steak, if you have it)
Worcestershire Sauce
Mozarella/provolone cheese, sliced (2 points)
DIRECTIONS:
Slice onions, green and red pepper and cook in 2-3 TBS of beef broth and tsp butter until soft and onions are light brown. Remove and set aside. Slice cube steak against the grain. Season with Lawry’s. Heat 2 TBSP beef broth and 1 tsp butter over high heat (in same skillet) until melted and beginning to brown. Add meat in single layer. Cook one side until brown (don’t stir, just let the heat carmelize the meat and do it’s magic!), then flip and cook until brown, about a minute on both sides.
Add 1/2 cup (at least) Worcestershire sauce and 2 TBSP beef broth. Add cooked onions. Stir to combine. Butter halved French rolls and brown on skillet. To assemble,slice pitas in half and open up. Stuff meat mixture into pita halves and set on a tray. Lay half a slice of cheese over each pita half. Broil on low until cheese is golden brown.

Try it.  You and your man will love it! :)

No comments:

Forever!!!