Monday, June 2, 2008

A Ditzy Moment...


Due to a Ditzy moment I had on Saturday I now have a new embarressing moment. Now I'm sure you are all gasping and thinking to yourself "Rachel have a distzy moment? Impossible!!!" But I assuring you, my friends, that although I may seem verly nearly perfect, I do have some flaws.
So on Saturday I decided to go running at the gym. So I grabbed my ipod and a magazine. I use the magazine to cover the amount of time I've been running (it always messes with my head). Miraculously, it wasn't very busy that day so I have my pick of just about any machine. I think divine inspiration led me to the last row of treadmills. Behind me are only 5 or 6 people on other machines. So I start my run. I'm trottin' along listening to Wicked. (I always get so into wicked. I love that music.) Well apparently I got a little too into it. I guess I was moving my hands to much, and my left arm caught the wire to my head phones. My ipod went crashing to the floor of the treadmill, and my automatic response? If you didn't guess, I'll enlighten you. I STOPPED RUNNING and BENT OVER to catch it before I stepped on it. Somehow, it never crossed my mind that I'm on a treadmill, and even if you stop...the treadmill doesn't. With in a fraction of a second I realized that it was either me or the ipod, so I let the ipod fly off the back of the treadmill. I tried to save my dignity, and stand up...but the problem is it's really hard to just begin running again once you're down...So there I am at the gym, holding on for dear life, both hands on the bars attempting to regain my footing and failing miserably. My arms aren't even close to clong enough to reaching the speed control (darn my genetics). (And it wasn't until today that I found out that there is an emergency stop button for such an occasion). So it was inevitable. I knew there was absolutely no way around it. I was going to be shot of the treadmill. I figured I may as well try to save some face so I dropped to my knees and let it throw me off. Luckily, my ipod wasn't hurt...and other than a severe blow to my pride...I wasn't either.

I didn't bother looking around to see if anybody had noticed. I knew they were laughing probably just as hard as I was, if not harder. I'm sure it was a sight to see. After sitting there laughing at myself for a moment, I jumped up, grabbed my ipod, pressed pause on my machine, got back on and commenced my run.

It's interesting that just a week earlier I saw a commercial on tv where a guy gets thrown off a treadmill and I thought to myself "You must be a pretty big idiot to get thrown off a treadmill." So I guess it's karma. What goes around comes around. Now I know it's really not that difficult to get thrown off a treadmill, especially if you stop running without stopping the treadmill. Can you believe I got an A in physics? I think the most important lesson I learned is to not use my ipod to hold my magazine down. It's too dangerous.

6 comments:

Natalie Whipple said...

I really, really wish I was there to see that, just reading this made me laugh so hard!

john & natalie said...

You must attach the emergency cord to your shirt...it has saved me many times. THANKS FOR THE LAUGH!

Tiffany W said...

So funny! Just picturing it made me laugh hysterically! And good for you for just getting up and start running again. I think that I would have left the gym.

Camie said...

A classic moment in Rachel history . . .

Steffani Dastrup said...

Love the story! Be careful, those treadmills can be treacherous! You blog is so cute! Where did you find such a cute template? I really need to update mine! How do I do it without deleting everything?

Natalie Whipple said...

I like the green better than the other...just so you know.

Forever!!!