Wednesday, November 12, 2008

You're getting a pouch....

So I never thought it was a big deal when girls said they didn't know how to react when somebody would say that they were starting to look pregnant, or getting a little "pouch"...until yesterday.
I was talking with a couple people at work and one of them reached over and patted my stomach and said "you're starting to look pregnant, that baby must be growing!" then another person chimed in and said "Yeah, I noticed the other day that you're getting a little pouch."
I just smiled graciously and said Yup. :) Inside I was experiencing for the first time what these other women are talking about when they bring this up. Now I know it's not a big deal, part of me is glad that I'm kind of starting to show...even if it's only a little bit. But the other part of me is having a little bit of a hard time with it. In my head I know that the baby really isn't that big yet, and though my clothes are a little tight, I didn't think I had a pouch yet...and when they rub my stomach, they're really just rubbing my fat. Disturbing, I know.
So I just wanted to let you all know that I finally understand what you're talking about and I can finally say I know how you feel. I mostly just feel fatter right now, but I'm looking forward to getting to the point where I actually look pregnant, and when people touch my stomach they're touching a baby...not my fat. :)

7 comments:

Camie said...

I'm now getting ... "you're waddling now!" (Thanks, I didn't know!) And, "are you sure you're not having twins?" People will ask me when I'm due and I'll say not until the end of January and they're like, "oh you still have a ways to go"... like I should be due sooner or something. It's great ;) I did like getting to the point where I was clearly pregnant and not just chubby feeling, but you'll have to prepare yourself for comments the whole time and from the most random people. I'm so happy things are going well though, that's ALL that matters! Loves!

Emily said...

lol i love that you said they're touching your fat! you're awesome for saying that! i'm sorry to say it just gets worse with the 2nd baby. i want to see you! How far along are you now?

Steffani Dastrup said...

Hey, out of all the girls, I've probably seen you the most recently, and I thought you looked fabulous! I can't wait to see this little baby Adams! Any guesses on what gender it will be? Hey, thanks for coming and helping in my classroom! I had a TON of fun! I'm sorry that they were such boring days! If you ever want to see some more interesting lessons let me know!

Rowe Roost... said...

I relate. I had one of my middle school students reach out in class and rub my belly. It was a strange sensation--kind of an infringement on my personal space. However, by the end of my pregnancy, I was pretty much over it. My belly had been rubbed more times than Aladdin's lamp! p.s. Matt and I are so excited for you and Chris!

Camie said...

Hey Rach, I think it would be so fun to do a get-together/shower with the girls. I hate making people feel obligated to get me stuff, but I would love to see you! I left a comment of Steff's blog about it too!

Tiffany W said...

At least you really are pregnant though, right? I mean, it could be worse. I'm sure you look so cute. You could plan the shower when I can come, that would be nice.

RitanSands said...

I love you! I totally know what you're talking about! I hated the just looking fat part of the pregnancy, but it's soooo the best when everyone knows you're preggers due to the obvious basketball. I'm so excited for you!

Forever!!!