Friday, September 23, 2011

Baby weight be gone ( and the little extra)

Well, it's time for me to put it all out there so I can be held accountable to everybody. And you know what? I'm not even a little afraid to do it. Maybe it's because I'm not worried about the outcome. I know I'll try a little harder when I have to report to you all and not just one other person.
Many of you watched as I lost 60 pounds last year and then slowly, but happily put it back on when I was pregnant with Madison. Well, I'm happy to announce that I never made it back to my previous heavy weight record (225), but I came pretty darn close. I'll be honest I was a little disappointed when the scale stop coming down around week 3 after having Maddie. It seemed to settle in happily at 212.
So I'm starting the process all over again. I'm excited to do it. Maybe because I know I've done it once before, and I know I can do it again, but this time I plan on getting with in my goal weight range which is 130-155. I'd like to be about 145, but we'll see when I get to 150.
I started weight watchers again (LOVE) and so far so good. I now weigh in at 209, and my first goal is to get to 199. If I wasn't nursing I think I would have planned to be there by mid October, but my milk dried up before and I don't want that to happen until I've hit the 6 month mark, so I have to be careful and take losing weight a little bit slower. About a pound a week...maybe two. I figure the weeks are going to pass by anyway, so why not be lighter at the end of it all.
This is about me and my family. I'm not doing this to fit into a pair of skinny jeans, I'm doing this to feel better about myself, and to set an example for my family. Chris and I are both thicker, and gain weight super easily if we're not careful, and we're pretty sure our kids are going to inherit that lovely trait so we want them to grow up knowing that exercise and eating right are a part of life.
Ok, so right now all I can get Boston to eat is Macaroni and Cheese, but he's eating. That's the first step in a healthy lifestyle, right?
I've noticed that when I eat like I'm pregnant, my family does too and they all gain weight. When I take care of myself it inspires them to do the same.
Ok, I'm rambling. Anyway, I'm going to share my experience with all of you, because it's not always easy, or fun, but it's totally worth it.
When you're healthy, you're happy. Not only that, but I really believe (and this is just my OPINION) that taking GOOD care of our bodies is a part of the Word of Wisdom. By letting myself get so overweight I was basically trashing my body. I wasn't keeping my covenants. You know how you here people say that after this life our bodies will be perfected and all the extra weight will be gone? I hear that all the time, and I don't think that's true. You can't smoke and drink and do drugs in this life saying it's too hard to change, and expect those desires to be gone after this life. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that. At some point you've got to overcome those shortcomings, and it's probably better to get them taken care of in this life, and the sooner the better.
Now obviously I'm far from perfect, and all of this is just something that hit me after I had Boston and was having a hard time getting up the stairs. At 25, I was having a hard time getting UP THE STAIRS! My joints were hurting and I had the energy of a 60 year old. That's when I realized that while I wasn't doing drugs or drinking, I was still breaking the Word of Wisdom and I had to change.
I made a mistake while I was pregnant by eating literally WHATEVER I wanted and not working out. This pregnancy was a lot easier than the last one because I started at a healthier weight, but because of bad choices, especially at the end of the pregnancy, I'm almost back to where I started.
So here I sit, inviting you all to help me on my journey once again. Don't freak out if you see me eating ice cream or cake or whatever, because I love food too much to cut all of that out. Just know that I will have planned for the splurge, and am enjoying every second of it.
This post is going on forever, sorry about that.
These first couple weeks have been great, and tough at the same time. I've started working out again 3-4 times a week for at least 20 minutes a day. It's not much, but it's what I can do right now. My knees are sore from running again, and my muscles usually scream at me for a day or two after my weights workout, but it's the good kind of pain. The kind you know is bringing you one step closer to your goal.
Thanks for listening. This is going to be fun watching all this weight drop together. Who knows, maybe some of you will do it with me and then next summer we'll all be hot mamas and run a ragnar in our bikinis (yeah right! how about a 10k or half marathon instead, but not in bikinis unless you really want to.)

7 comments:

Tiffany W said...

Awesome! You can do it! I also love how you say that you will plan on splurges when you do them, because I think that if you try to totally cut them out all the time then it will just always be such a HUGE temptation. Biggest loser started again this week, sounds like the perfect time to start. It also sounds like you have thought about this a lot for the good of your family and that's why it will work for you. You are amazing!

Camie said...

Rachel! Thanks for your post, and also your insightful comment on my recent post regarding weight. I know you can find a healthy balance that will work for you and your family. I'm excited to hear about your progress! :)

Nattles said...

Great goals! Come workout with my exercise group sometime. It's mon through fri at 9:15am. We would love to have you!

Jenn and Chris Rasmussen said...

Good for you. I think its great you focus on what makes you happy and not what size your neighbor is. Cheers to you.

Carolina said...

Rachel I just love you!! I know that you can do it and I love that you're doing it for the right reason!

Unknown said...

Nice blog post, and I wish you luck on your next Weight Watchers endeavor!...P.S. your light orange text on the white background is a little hard to read. Just as an FYI.

Kate and Blake plus 3 said...

Good for you! I heard our stake does a "boot-camp" work out several days a week that you can take kids to. Maybe we should look into it and give it a try. You know how well my Zumba's going !:)

Forever!!!