Friday, October 14, 2011

Numbers....

My evening weight is 204.4

My morning weight is 200.2

So close to breaking that barrier.

I've had a few people tell me I'm brave for putting my weight on my blog and being so open about it.

Those numbers don't define me.

I'm SO MUCH MORE!

Those numbers mean that I love food. :) That I'm curvy. But what those numbers don't tell you is that I'm a happy person. I have interests and hobbies. I'm a good mom, a good friend, and I'll work really hard to bring happiness to those around me. Those numbers don't tell you about the service I give to others or the wife I am to my husband. By looking at those numbers you won't know that I love to sing and dance, run and do yoga.

You ever notice that when we fear something we don't like to talk about it? Like in Harry Potter and "He who must not be named". Harry was one of the very few people who used his name. And it gave him a sort of confidence and strength. It gave him courage and took away some of his fear. When he used the name of Voldemort, it took away a little of the power that Voldemort had over Harry.

Maybe it's the same thing with our weight. When we keep our weight a secret, it's giving power to those numbers. When we put them out there, they become just numbers. That's it. They're not scary or something to be ashamed of. Just numbers. And numbers that you can change or be proud of.

Maybe the reason there are so many body issues in the first place is because so many women give power to those numbers they see on the scale. They LET those NUMBERS define them. They look at those numbers and see just bad things. They don't dare to breath those numbers to another living soul because of the shame and embarrassment they bring. In turn, they connect those numbers with their view of their body. They're shamed and embarrassed by what they see on the scale and therefore, shamed and embarrassed by what they see in the mirror.

Those numbers define them.

So I ask you. Are you defined by numbers? Or do you really TRULY see yourself as SO MUCH MORE?

7 comments:

Camie said...

Good work Rachel! You are making progress! And it's true numbers shouldn't define us.

The Cunninghams said...

Great post! :) And I agree about the numbers thing. I try to focus more on the way I feel than what the scales say (although I will admit that I still hate getting weighed at the doctors office and having the nurse write that number down). Good for you though!!

Also, I love that you referenced Harry Potter. Seriously, love that! :)

Carolina said...

I seriously love this post & I love you!

Shane, Kayla, Brynlee said...

Wow, great post rach! I loved that reminder!

Steffani Dastrup said...

I am so proud of you Rach! I've been meaning to tell you also, NuSkin has an AMAZING weight loss program! I have met people who have lost 15-20 pounds in their first month. It is all based on giving your body the right nutrition, rather than crash dieting. If your interested in trying it let me know. It is 100% guarenteed. Money back if you don't see results!

Allie said...

thank you so much for this post. I really needed it. I am struggling so much more losing my weight after baby number 3. I get depressed and so angry with myself when the numbers stay the same or go up.

This post reminded me that I am SO much more than those numbers. They really dont tell me who I am and I wont let them anymore!!

RitanSands said...

Love this post. It's kind of hard for me because although I definitely believe that everyone is way more than a number; for me it's like this...I have noticed that my body looks different at different numbers. At some numbers it looks better than it does at others. I can usually feel myself either gaining/losing weight, and most of the time the scale will reassure it. So the way I see it, is I'm already feeling conscious about my body even before I've weighed myself. I don't want to be a certain/specific number just because the other girl is, but because for me personally it just feels better to be at one than the other. I don't know if that makes sense. I want to look good or be at a weight that "I" am comfortable with, for me, not for the world, or even my husband, but because I want to look/feel better about myself. You are amazing and inspiring and I would love to have the determination you do :-).

Oh, and btw...you look fabulous. Love the pics of you dressed up as a witch...you look beautiful.

Forever!!!