Thursday, October 6, 2011

Call Me The BLACK HOLE

You know what I forgot while I was pregnant? I forgot how big my stomach is. I'm not talking about the look of it (that's an entirely different post), I'm talking about what I can cram inside.

Seriously I could out eat any of you PLUS your husbands, brothers, dads, neighbors, etc. I'm pretty sure of it.

Now that I'm trying to loose weight and watching portions very carefully, It's hitting me like a ton of bricks the recollection that I am a bottomless pit. Have you ever gone to lunch with friends, or family and the women order a sandwich and eat almost half and a couple fries, then leaning back in their seats declare themselves full? I know you know what I'm talking about. In fact, I bet you are one of those women.

What I can't decide is are you really as full as you so delicately declare or do you simply push aside half your food because you know you shouldn't eat the entire thing?

You know what I'm thinking as I watch you push your half finished plate away? I'm thinking:

"Oh man, I should probably do the same thing.

I'm going to put down my fork and be done...

(one minute later)

Well maybe one more bite...

(ten bites later)

Well there's only a little bit left. I should probably leave it on my plate...Or I'll just finish it up...

(after another minute)

Man, their food is still sitting there. I could eat that too. I'm still hungry. How do they do it? They probably are thinking about the amount I ate. Ugghhhh."

I'm sure you're sitting reading this thinking you know men who could put away more food than me. Honestly, There may be a few out there, but I easily find myself eating more than full grown men all the time.

Sometimes I find myself at dinner with my husband and his friends, and while they're all full with food still left on their plates, mine is licked clean and I'm snacking on what's left behind on theirs.

Let me tell you what I mean. I eat a Cafe Rio Salad, and I'm still hungry and could easily eat a second. I could down a whole pizza in probably ten minutes and still have room for more. Burger and fries? Try three burgers and everybody's fries, plus a shake and it doesn't even phase me. I'm not making this up.

I watch other people become full after only a few bites, and I'm amazed. I often find myself having to tell myself that I've had enough and I shouldn't eat any more...and then I do.

So let me ask you, do you honestly get full after a few bites or do you push the food aside pretending to be full because that's what girls are supposed to do? And if you're a guy, what do you think of a girl who finishes her plate, while you leave food on yours?

Again, maybe I just feel this way because I'm trying to lose weight, but seriously. Even at my skinniest I could out eat any girl without blinking an eye. Will I ever be a girl who can push away half of a burger claiming to be full and actually mean it?

I doubt it.

8 comments:

Emily said...

I so hear you. That is exactly how I feel a ton of the time. I do think that people can get their stomachs to shrink but I think even my shrinkage is bigger than their big, lol.

Rasmussen Family said...

Oh Rachel! You always make me laugh! You know what? I eat a lot too. Usually I am the kind of girl that will only eat half her sandwich and a few fries then push my plate away and actually be full. . . but that is because I've been eating and snacking on things non-stop throughout the day. I guarantee that is what other girls do as well! Don't sweat it. You are awesome!!!

Unknown said...

Pay up, you lost your own bet (see this blog post). I'm not a girl, and I'd never be the one pushing my sandwich away half-eaten. Jur cuh-racy!

Shannon said...

Both. I have such a problem with food. Ive deprvied myself food for such a long time that eating only a little bit fills me up. But I also push it away cause Im supposed to. Love you Rachel.. <3

Cambric said...

i used to be the girl that could eat anyone under the table. then my metabloism slowed and i still eat a lot more than other people but not as much as i used to (whole chickens with mashed potatoes gravy and many rolls, entire chicken alfredo pizzas, 1 pound of bacon ... all by myself!). if i say i'm full i really am full not because i am supposed to be full. ;)

Jenn and Chris Rasmussen said...

I think there is a little part of us that can eat like that and then there is that part that wants to push our food away and doesn't. That is my concern now. Here I can eat whatever and when this baby comes I have to go back to watching what I eat and how much I eat of it and it really freaks me out because I LOVE LOVE LOVE food. Trust me I know how you feel. I use to hate to eat with Chris' family because they are all bottom less pits in a size 2 pant, right after they give birth. I figure I have to make that evil choice and either be fat and eat what I want and be miserable or I can eat what I want in smaller portions and feel a little better about myself. I say feel your best and that is what you should be. I stopped wondering why I was the only one eating hamburger, fries and shake while they eat a salad. YOu make me laugh keep up the good work, as long as you are happy that is all the matters.

Carolina said...

I would like to say that I've never understood the girls who push away half their sandwhich either. I think only once I have done that in my life and it was only because I had already eaten a full meal before. In high school my friends called me the garbage disposal because at lunch I'd eat my food and then finish off my girlfriends lunches. So don't feel bad. Not all girls can eat half a sandwhich and feel full.

RitanSands said...

Omg...I just giggled when I read this because I totally wonder the same thing (and because I am eating animal crackers). I have super food issues though because for me it just depends on how hungry I am, and if I'm pregnant or not, or nursing or not. If I'm not pregnant and not nursing I can go for hours without being hungry, and because I don't eat that much for lack of hunger, my stomach does shrink, but when I do eat I'll eat very decent sized portions (ps--i've always had to get my own salad at cafe rio, no matter the situation). If I am not pregnant and nursing I can eat a LOT and still be hungry enough to eat the same amount I did the first time. Usually, when nursing I can eat as much as Sanders does, and more. And I don't get embarrassed if I'm out having lunch/dinner with someone and I'm still hungry. In fact, when others are done with their half portions, and mine is gone, I usually say "are you done with that?" and if so "can i have it?" Of course I only do that if they are close enough friends though.

Forever!!!