Sunday, April 7, 2013

Success!!!! (I'm beyond thrilled tonight!)


Boston had a MAJOR breakthrough/accomplishment today. He went Messy on the potty!!!!! This was a huge moment for our family! He was so proud he said "Mom, I did it, and it wasn't that hard! Mom, we should tell Mary and Destin (My siblings on missions). I want to draw them a picture of it for them!" Chris and Laughed at what this picture might look like, but I told them that I'd write them in their emails tonight. :) lol. 

While Chris was in London a couple weeks ago I took Boston to Toys R Us and let him pick anything he wanted but told him he couldn't play with it until he went messy in the potty for a full week. He picked a toy he's been talking about for two years. He calls it the biggest lightning McQueen. It's a $70 remote control car that apparently can talk and literally will move his eyes and mouth. Luckily for me it was on sale for $45, so I said ok. I figured if we can get him out of pull ups it would be worth it. So we bought it, took it home and set it high on a shelf in our family room where it just sat. Boston tried sitting on the potty once. But that was it, one time. He obviously wasn't motivated enough to really try and earn this toy that he had been talking about for two years. 

What happened was a couple days ago I finished changing a messy pull up and just blurted out "Boston, you're too big to be messing in a diaper, and so because I know you know better, I'm going to take away your biggest Lightning McQueen. And every day after that  that you go messy in your pull up I'm going to take away one of your toys. And for every day you go messy in the potty you can pick a toy out of toy jail" Well Boston started realizing what that meant and started crying and got very worried. He asked through tears "And you're going to take away my Hulk?" 
"Yes"
"And you're going to take away my spiderman? and Dolly? And puppy? and Blanket?" 
"Yup, I will"
"And you're going to take away my hand?"
"What? No, I won't take away your hand."
"And you're going to take away Maddie?"
"No I won't take away Maddie."
"And you're going to take away my house?"
"No I won't"
"And My food and chocolate milk?"
"Boston, I promise I won't take away any family members, your house, or food, I won't take away your milk, but I will take away the chocolate to make the chocolate milk. I'm only taking away your toys. But if you go messy on the potty I won't have to take away any more toys, and you'll be able to get your biggest lightning McQueen out of toy jail." 

Fast forward three days, (today) and he hadn't gone messy at all. Not in a pull up, not in the potty. He had been holding it. So today at mom and dad's house I noticed he started doing a bit of a potty dance and asked him if he needed to go. He answered no, and kept dancing. Then he came up to me and said it was getting dark outside and he needed a pull up. I reminded him that if I put a pull up on him and he went messy in it I was going to take away his Hulk. That's all it took. He thought about it for maybe three seconds and said "mommy, I need to go potty, I think the messy wants to come!" So i jumped up and took him into the bathroom where I sat with him and talked him through what was happening. He started to panic a couple times, but quickly saw it wasn't too bad. When he finished I showed him how to wipe and then he wanted to see his accomplishment. When he saw his messy in the toilet, he was beaming with pride! He kept saying it wasn't too hard or scary and that he could do that again. Then we got to take his lightning mcqueen out of toy jail. It was a great night for him, and for Chris and I. We are hoping this is the beginning of the end of two kids in diapers...at least until August. :) 

1 comment:

Camie said...

Good job Boston!

Forever!!!