Monday, August 1, 2011

hang of it

So I was worried about being alone with a toddler and a newborn...I still am. I haven't really had to do it all by myself since my mom has been staying with me since we came home from the hospital in order to help me recover.

Today, was really the first day that I've spent the majority of it by myself. Luckily I have an awesome neighbor who helps me. (She seriously is the greatest neighbor ever!) Boston spent a little time with them which helped me eat breakfast and get Maddie fed. When Boston came home he helped me clean while she slept, and then she woke up and the craziness began.

Maddie was screaming because she was starving, and Boston was screaming because it was nap time, but he wanted to color. I thought if I let him color that would buy me some time to feed her and then get him down. I got him settled with markers (yes, markers) and his coloring book at the table and then as I was about to feed Maddie I got a phone call from Chris. In my two minute conversation with him, Maddie was screaming and suddenly Boston had decided it was much more fun to color himself than the coloring book. One minute he was a perfectly clean child, and the next both his arms were yellow! No Joke, from just below his shoulder to his finger tips lemon yellow. Awesome. Lol. Chris caught on that things were a little hectic so we got off the phone and I began to wash Boston's arms off all the while Maddie is livid.

Boston was finally cleaned, and only semi-stained yellow when he decided that he needed milk for his nap right then. So I picked up Maddie, and warmed up some milk for him and finally got my two kids upstairs to his room. He won't go down unless I read at least one Choo-Choo book (thomas the train). So I read him his book and he went down. Oh, did I mention that this entire last part I was nursing. That's right. I've decided that the only way to take care of my older child while, at the same time, taking care of my younger child is to nurse while walking around. Luckily she's small enough right now that this is possible.

Can I just say, how talented am I? lol.

4 comments:

Nattles said...

The learning curve is so steep but I promise it's worth it! You're doing great!

Steffani Dastrup said...

Oh exciting things to come for me!

Tiffany W said...

Sounds very familiar! Don't worry, it just takes a little while for the older one to learn patience since they're so used to getting everything right when they ask for it. I only remember walking around nursing while they were really little and then everyone gets in a new routine. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Emily said...

um, I text you. call me cause you NEVER HAVE!!! lol that first month was a doozy for me too. You are super woman!

Forever!!!