Monday, January 23, 2012

Sprint Triathlon Training: Week 2

I'm pretty sure signing up for this Triathlon was one of the best things I've done in a LONG time! I don't know why I was so nervous before. I find that now I look forward to Monday for days. It's gone from one of my least favorite days, to probably one of my favorite. I did much better today, and I'm sure next week will be even better.

Run: 2.5 miles 26 minutes (Yeah, I'm working on this one, don't worry I have a plan)
Bike: 12 Miles, 33 minutes
Swim: 12 laps, 25 minutes.
Weight: 194.

So I'm working on improving all of my times, especially running and swimming. And I have to say that I'm quite proud of myself for finishing all 12 laps today. When I got to the locker room I discovered it was full of loud teenage girls. When I got out to the pool I quickly noticed that all of the lanes, with the exception of one, was taken by a swim team of what seemed like 50 kids ranging from the ages of 14 to 17. Then, on the other side of this one open lane, there was another swim team with 7 or 8 kids ranging from the ages of 7 to 11 or so. Then there was my lane in the middle. Now, swimming with novice swimmers I can hold my own, and actually I do really well against novice swimmers. However, when put up against swimmers who are one: have better form, two: have figured out how to breathe out of their nose under water, and three: have been swimming a lot longer than I have, I kind of look like a tool. Ok, maybe not, but that's how I felt.
I stood there after having assessed the scene in front of me and really considered turning around and going home. After all, I had just run and biked. That was good enough right?
But there is that part of me that can't quit once I commit to something. So I dropped the towel and headed for the one open lane. I did my best to ignore the kids around me, and actually I as keeping up with some of them as they swam free-style...until they noticed that I was keeping up, and actually started putting some effort into it, then they schooled me. As I rested in between laps, I noticed that even the 7 year olds had the breathing down. I was faster, but only because I'm a little (and I mean a LITTLE stronger) than they are. I wanted to get out of the pool after lap 4 because with all the swimming that was going on around me there were waves in my lane and I was having a hard time breathing. But I kept going. On one of the backstrokes I passed the flags and thought, "I should be getting to the wall any second now" so I tipped my head back a tiny bit to see how close I was, when my head hit the wall. I stopped swimming, as you do when a wall stops you, and smiled at myself. I also noticed the life guard who had been watching me was trying really hard to hide his laughing. :) That's ok, laugh. It was kind of funny. Luckily, I hadn't been going at full speed, because if I had, I'm sure my head would probably have a...very small bump. lol.
I called my mom on the way home and asked her to come with me next week to see if she can teach me how to breathe better while free-style swimming. :) I'll let you know how it goes.

On a side note, I have to Share this AWESOME/Healthy recipe with you. It literally takes 5 minutes to put together.

Chicken Enchilada Soup
1 diced onion
2 chicken breasts (I left mine frozen)
1 can black beans, rinsed
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can diced green chilis (8 oz)
1 can green enchilada sauce (15 oz)
1 can chicken broth.

Through all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on high for 4-5 hours. Shred the chicken and let cook for 1 more hour. Top with your favorite Mexican toppings. :)
Weights watchers Points Plus: 2 points per serving. (makes 15 servings)

3 comments:

Nattles said...

Keep on keepin on! Thanks for the recipe! Looks yummy! I'll definitely put that on my menu!

Kate and Blake plus 3 said...

Awesome. Little punks trying to out swim you!

BriAnn said...

Wow Rachel I'm impressed. Keep it up! You're inspiring me to get working out.

Forever!!!