Friday, September 12, 2008

Excited about Excel!

I'm thinking that my reflections writings on the side won't be enough to provide my teacher the information she wants, so I've decided to just make it a post.

This week in class we spent one day on Microsoft Word, and the other on Excel. For the most part I'm pretty familiar with Word, but I was surprized to learn a couple new things. For example, in word you can add "Word Art". So what you do is you can type a word or a phrase and then click on word art and pick how you want this word or phrase to appear on your document. You can change the shape the words take too. I figured this is something really nice to finally know how to do because if you are creating a handout for the kids, or something to take home to the parents it will help it catch their eye. Up until this point I would always just create my own word art, or find something online that maybe said the phrase and then paste it to the document. So I'm excited about that. Oh I also learned how to make a spreadsheet in word and then make the lines dissapear so it all looks organized and semetrical. :)

Thursday we learned about Excel, which I'm also semi-familiar with because I have to use it at work so much. When I am creating spreadsheets at work I always feel like there are better and faster ways to be doing it. The thing that I'm most excited about was learning how to create a graph! Yes, I know many people already know how to do that...but you have to remember that most of my technological progress has happened since I've been home from my mission. I didn't know anything about blogging, facebook, or even texting! I've come along way, and learning new things is fantastic. Doc (my teacher) explained that there maybe better options than excel to keep track of grades, but it's a great tool if we don't have anything else. I've been playing with excel alot since class on thursday, and feel a lot more comfortable with how it works.

Oh, I also had to build a computer this week...not really, but just put one together online. It took me a little while to figure what everything meant, but I did it. I added every upgrade I could, and in the end my dream computer, which was an apple by the way, would cost me a little over $15,000! Yup, that's right. I was amazed at how quickly all the up grades added up and how expensive they could be...but that's why it was my dream computer! :)

No comments:

Forever!!!