Saturday, September 20, 2008

It's Alive!

What's alive you ask? Well, my dream of creating a website! That's right. This week in my class I learned how to create a website. On Tuesday we used the free google sites to create a pretty basic website. It was a good starter tool. Anybody can do it and it really doesn't take long. I love the idea of having a class website, but there is another website creator that is even cooler. It's my.uen.com here you can create your own website, but it includes a lot of pretty cool tools. It's got a calendar which I love. You can add dates when things are due, post reading and other assignments, or even just post what you plan to cover for that week. I think it's a great way for parents who are wanting to be involved, and make sure their kids stay on top of things to see clearly what they need to help their kids with. When I was in school my mom was always having to call our teachers and make sure that we were caught up and not missing anything. I think it will help the parents save time and even better, it will help me save time. If I were a parent I would love to just jump online and see what my child was learning and what he needed to turn in that week.
Another thing that is cool about this website, is that it offers a public and a private site. So the public site is for the parents and the kids, but the private portion of the site has so many neat tools. It's got a tool to help with lesson planning, and tools that connect you to libraries and online resources for your lessons. Pretty much any online document, journal or resource from U of U, BYU, etc. is available on this website. They've got a special library section for kids and teachers. It's amazing!
We're going to spend more time during the semester learning more about the how to build our website. I'm really excited to continue learning about building a website. I think it's going to be a great tool to help me connect with the parents and kids. I'll post the links later so that you can see them if you'd like. :)

No comments:

Forever!!!