Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Proud to Introduce....



Baby Adams. He/She is 9 weeks old, and apparently likes to do the jig. When he/she first popped up on the screen he/she was dancing around. The doctor said it looked like the jog. lol. It was so fun to see the baby moving around, but even better to see the heartbeat. It's been an interesting pregnancy so far. Competely different than my last one. I don't get morning sickness...I get all day sickness. And sometimes I don't even have the energy to lift my arm. But I have to keep telling myself that it's good to be sick and tired. I'd rather deal with it then have it suddenly dissappear. It's been hard for me to not worry...but it's getting better with every week that goes by. I'll be honest, it took me a few weeks to get even a little attached, but now I am.

As most of you already know, we bought a baby crib. Ironically the smell of it makes me completely sick. I don't know why. So for weeks I haven't been able to go into the second bedroom. I bought a air freshener plug in and that has seemed to mask the smell of the wood enough I can go into the room without holding my breath. Anyway. We are thrilled, and even though we're not quite out of the woods as far as miscarraige goes, we feel really good about everything. OH and the doctor forgot to tell us the due date...but I'm guessing it's at the end of April, beginning of May.
(This next part not for the weak of stomach)
Oh on a side note, after my appointment today I went to AF hospital for lab tests and blood work. It was a super fun experience. Since high school they never seem to be able to find any working veins (it's a wonder i'm still alive). I warned the nurse of my vein problem and she did what all the other nurses do, she said "I'm sure it will be fine." I just looked at her and smiled...I knew what was coming. I've seen it a million times. So she spent 10 minutes looking for a vein, and finally decided on one in my right arm. She put the needle in, and started moving it around. She finally got it into my vein, but no blood was coming, and it kept slipping out...and then my arem started turning blue. My vein blew. So she wrapped my arm and apologized, and ran to get a smaller needle. So she starts feeling around my left arm for a second vein. The only one she can find is pretty deep, but she decides to go for it. So she sticks the needle in and moves it around a little, and the tiniest drop of blood came out. We both looked at the "gushing" blood, then at the 7 tubes I had to fill up. We knew at this rate we'd be here all day. After 10 minutes I hadn't even filled up an 8th of the tube when suddenly the blood stopped coming. Vein number 2 blew. The nurse was astonished and said she had used a pediatric needle so it should have been fine. I just sat there and told her that it happens to me alot. She wrapped that arm, and went to go get the nurse in charge. The nurse came and decided that she didn't want to try anymore veins from my arm, and after examining me for a couple minutes decided to try the vein on the back of my hand. If you've never had to have blood pulled from that vein let me tell you...not pleasant. Anyway so they start dumping all the blood into a big tube so that they could just divide it into the smaller tubes later. While they were draining my of my blood supply I suddenly felt really nauseas. The nurse looked at me and said "are you breathing?" I realized I hadn't been, so I told her I forgot because I was trying not to throw up. She told me to take deep breaths and got one of the other nurses to bring me some ice water (best water I've ever had by the way)and a lollipop. So while they finished I drank the water which helped, and watched as they wrapped my hand in that medical tape. They made me sit for a minute and eat the sucker and drink my water before they let me go, which I was grateful for. So there I am, two blown veins, both my arms and one of my hand covered in florecent orange pumpking medical tape eating a sucker. I suddenly felt like a little kid. lol. Luckily the room stopped spinning and I made it to work ok, and will only look like I've been beaten for a week or so. lol. The joys of being pregnant. Wouldn't trade them for the world.

6 comments:

Camie said...

Rachel! That is seriously the BEST news! I TOTALLY empathize with you on the smell thing! I couldn't use my hair products, wear certain clothes etc etc! My mom and I went to NYC when I was only 6 weeks along and I still can't wear/use anything that I purchased there because the thought of queasiness still gets to me. I'm sure the crib smell will get better and you'll become used to it -- just maybe after this first trimester!! :) I am SO thrilled for you and Chris! And I am so excited to have kiddos close in age! How fun! Love ya!

Tiffany W said...

Congrats, I hope that all goes well and that you start feeling better soon!

Brandon, McKell & Ryker said...

I am so happy for you. I hope everything continues to go well and that you get feeling better soon. Being sick is no fun at all, but it doesn't last forever (hopefully).

Fun Utah Mom said...

I am so happy for you guys! That is so exiting and you both will be amazing parents!

Chris said...

congrats on the new soon to be little one. you will be a fantastic mom.

Natalie Whipple said...

Yay! That's so wonderful. I really did have to stop reading about your poor veins. That sounds awful. You hang in there!

Forever!!!