Sunday, February 12, 2012

In the spirit of Valentines...

Valentines day is coming up, and to be honest, Chris and I don't do a very good job of celebrating. February is already a month of celebrations. February 3rd=Anniversary and February 27th my birthday, and cram the 14th in there and it can be a bit of celebration overload. So this year I'm thinking about turning Valentines day into something we share with our kids. Maybe making a special macaroni and cheese dinner by candlelight, with a little mashed bananas on the side. :) So romantic right?
But, as I've been reflecting on the 10 years that Chris and I have been together there's a story that keeps coming back to me, so I'm going to share it with you. Mostly I want to have it written somewhere.
The year was 1996 and Chris was living in Draper. His family was building a house in Alpine and decided to send Chris to school there at the beginning of the year so he wouldn't have to transfer half way through. He was less than thrilled. He wanted to go to school with his friends. To make some friends he started playing club soccer, and it helped, but it wasn't the same as going to school where he lived. He had to drive every day from Draper to Alpine and back. He was miserable. One night he was praying and he had a very strong, sudden feeling that he would meet his wife in school. You'd think a 13 year old wouldn't care less about meeting his future wife, but this feeling calmed him, and his attitude changed.
Jump three years forward to 1999. I was living in Riverton and was a happy 15 year girl. I was looking forward to high school and getting ready for cheer tryouts with some of my friends. One day my parents came to me wanting to know if I would be interested in going to Lone Peak where my mom taught. They said it was a great school, with good people. They told me to take a few days and think about it, then get back to them.
So I thought about it a few days, and decided I didn't want to leave my friends, and go to Riverton High School. I went into my parents room that night and told them my decision. They were quiet for a moment and then told me they felt strongly that I needed to go to Lone Peak, and that the cheer tryouts were that week and the clinic started tomorrow. I sat there dumbfounded for a minute, and then we proceeded to have a monumental fight. Which I lost. I remember running outside and dramatically collapsing to the stairs on our front porch in hysterical sobs. I don't know how long I cried for, but it was a while. I remember praying and asking Heavenly Father why. Why did they feel so strongly? Then, it hit me for the briefest moment, a thought that I would meet my future husband in high school. The thought was fleeting, but I held on to it. It didn't change my attitude, but it gave me a little reason to hope.
Jump forward to 2001. Chris had pretty much given up hope that he would meet anyone worth while in high school, and I had convinced myself that that feeling I had was basically a ridiculous dream of a 15 year old girl. However, events had taken place that put us in the same spanish class. We had our first kiss in that class, and became friends. We started dating right before graduation and the rest is history. :)
I love Chris, and am so glad he's my husband!

3 comments:

Tiffany W said...

What a great story...Kissing in Spanish class?! I sure am glad you went to Lone Peak too. Cheering wouldn't have been the same without you!

The Winkels said...

I'm so glad you wrote this story down!!! I love it! And holy cow--February is HUGE for you two! Who needs Valentine's when you have an anniversary that month?! Delightful!

The Cunninghams said...

What a sweet story! :) and how did you have your first kiss in Spanish class?! Haha!

Forever!!!